Ingredients for Baccalà Mantecato
4 slices of homemade bread
5 pachino tomatoes
10 Taggiasca olives
5/6 bay leaves
salt, to taste
sugar, to taste
400 g Norwegian stockfish
200 g Grand Cru Capo Terzo
100 g cooking water
oregano, to taste
|Preparation Time||10 mins|
|Cooking Time||30 mins|
|Desalination Time||48-72 h|
Baccalà Mantecato, or creamed cod, was already mentioned in 1891 in “Science in the kitchen and the art of eating well“: a simple, tasty recipe with deep roots! Many will surely have heard of it, but few will have understood and appreciated it: yet making it is not difficult at all.
It is a real cream based on Norwegian stockfish and EVO oil. There are two very important rules to follow in this recipe: desalt the stockfish well (or the salt will cover all the flavors of the recipe) and choose a top quality EVO oil which enriches the flavor of the recipe.
We chose an EVOO produced by I&P, 100% Caninese, Grand Cru Capo Terzo (also read our review of Grand Cru Capo Terzo EVOO). It adds elegance to the taste of the recipe and gives a delicate citrus note that makes the recipe also suitable for modern cuisine.
Are you curious to try this recipe? Watch our step-by-step video recipe!
Directions for Baccalà Mantecato
Watch our video recipe.
- Rinse the stockfish under cold water until all excess salt is removed.
- Dip it in a bowl full of cold water, cover it and leave it in the fridge.
- Change the water 1 or 2 times a day for 48-72h.
- At the end of desalination, cook it. Bring the water to boil in a large pot.
- When the water boils, add 1/2 lemon and 4-5 bay leaves.
- Pour the stockfish into the boiling water and cook it for about 30 minutes (try it, it should be very soft).
- Once ready, drain the cod and let it cool, but keep the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, cut the cherry tomatoes in half, add 1 teaspoons of salt and 1 of sugar. Drizzle with a tablespoon of Capo Terzo Grand Cru EVO oil and cook it in a ventilated oven at 200 ° C for about 15 minutes (until the surface turns golden).
- Cut slices of homemade bread (read our recipe) and put them in the oven at 200 ° C for about 10/15 minutes, until bruschetta.
- Put the cod in a planetary mixer with the leaf spatula (if you don’t have a planetary mixer, turn it quickly with a whisk).
- While the mixer works at medium speed, slowly add the extra virgin olive oil. Keep stirring until a smooth cream has formed.
- Also add the cooking water.
- Taste your Baccalà Mantecato as you prefer! We ate it on a bruschetta, adding confit cherry tomatoes, Taggiasca olives and a final touch of grated organic lemon zest. If you like, add some oregano!
It can also be eaten with polenta croutons, Venetian style, or to flavor a creamy risotto (read our risotto recipe).
- Conclude your recipe by adding a few drops of Capo Terzo Grand Cru EVO oil and… enjoy your meal!