Ingredients for Guacamole
- 3 ripe avocados
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of lemon-based olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lime
- 1/4 onion (red or white, to preference)
- pepper to taste
|Preparation Time||5 mins|
Guacamole is a tasty vegan dip sauce; it is prepared with avocado and salt, and to preference, it may also include tomatoes, lime, onion, pepper and others (e.g. jalapeno peppers, cilantro).
We use homemade guacamole either as a simple dip for appetizers, to be enjoyed with nachos or fried potatoes (obviously, fried with extra virgin olive oil! Read how to fry with EVOO here) and chips, or as a spread to enrich fish-based preparations such as salmon or tuna tartare, and sandwiches/piadina (read our piadina recipe here) with fried fish.
Here you can find our sister and Extraevo co-author Valeria’s version of the guacamole – last year she returned home after having lived in Brazil for some months, and taught us her version of the best guacamole recipe.
We further decided to enrich our guacamole with a lemon-based olive oil by the Visconti company (read our review of its Unico EVOO, produced with 100% Peranzana), Apulia (Torremaggiore, South Italy), which produces this olive oil with a simple crushing olives and fresh Italian lemons together; try this unique olive oil also on fish or for the preparation of lemon cakes (read our recipe here)!
And now let’s prepare our guacamole sauce (and don’t forget to tag us in the pictures!)
How to make guacamole? It’s very simple!
- Mix the juice of 1 lime with the avocados, and mash them with a fork. We recommend not to use the mixer or the sauce will oxidize quickly; furthermore, by using a fork you will get a more interesting irregular texture to make every bite unique!
- Cut the cherry tomatoes and the onion into small pieces with a knife. Mix it with the avocado.
- Season your guacamole spread with the lemon-based olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste.