Ingredients for Homemade Ice Cream
For the ice cream
- 500 ml milk
- 120 g brown sugar
- 6 g salt
- 100 ml cream
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
For the decoration
- 50 g almond
- 40 g brown sugar
- 12 g water
|Preparation Time||15 mins|
|Freezing time||30 mins – 1h (in the ice-cream maker)|
6 – 12 hours (in the freezer)
Homemade ice cream is one of the tastiest, most versatile and popular summer recipes; its origin dates back to the ancient custom of freezing food to better preserve it.
Ice cream can be prepared starting with a base of milk, eggs and sugar, and then further enriched by your favourite ingredients (pistachio, hazelnuts, chocolate …), or it can be made with fruit, a more healthier option whose preparation starts with the use of just water and sugar (sorbet).
In recent years, homemade ice-cream has been the subject of numerous “kitchen experimentations”: it has been used on savory preparations, and maestri gelatieri from all over the world have come up with ice cream flavours of increasingly particular and refined taste; surely among these we can include homemade ice cream made with extra virgin olive oil! We decided to prepare it in its sweet version, but nothing stops you from experimenting with savoury flavors, to go in combination with a main course or a side dish.
Depending on the taste you want to obtain, you can choose an EVOO characterized by more or less bitterness, but we still advise you to stick to EVO oils with light or medium fruitiness; we have chosen an EVO oil of medium bitterness and fruitiness, to balance the taste of the almond by Az. Gangalupo which we pralines for our ice cream.
The sweet and savory combination of the EVOO and the almond pralines resulted in an unexpected excellent and balanced taste! As a final touch, we recommend adding a few drops of EVO oil a crudo to your dessert, to boost the flavour.
Other combinations for olive oil ice cream? Make it with berries, mint, chocolate, mango and papaya, dried fruit, banana and apple, or violet!
- Almond pralines. Toast the almonds in a pan over medium heat until crunchy. Cut one half of your almonds into small pieces, and the other in halves or quarters. Make an emulsion of water and sugar and mix it with the almond over medium heat. Once ready, let it cool at room temperature.
- Bring the milk to the boiling point over low heat.
- Add salt, honey and sugar, mix well and let it cool in the fridge.
- Once cool, add the EVO oil and the cream, and the almond pralines (keeping some aside for final decorations).
- Stir and put your mix in the ice cream maker. If you don’t have an ice cream maker, just put your preparation in the freezer for 6 to 12 hours (until a creamy texture is obtained) and mix it with a spoon every 30 minutes/1 hour.
- Just before serving, add a few drops of EVOO and the rest of the almond pralines.
- Enjoy and let us know if you liked it!
We have selected the best extra virgin olive oils for desserts in our EVOO boxes (3 bottles x 500ml). Shop now!