- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 80 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ml fresh lemon juice
|Cooking Time||10 mins|
Mayonnaise is one of the most basic dressings of international cuisine, which foodies everywhere like to pair to various preparations, meat to salads to appetizers. However, what you may not know is that mayonnaise is also one of the easiest condiments to prepare – it only takes 10 minutes for your mayonnaise to be ready and super tasty!
To prepare the olive oil mayonnaise it is important to choose an EVOO delicate in flavour to perfectly match the elegant sweetness of the mayonnaise – this way the EVOO will not cover its flavour, but rather enrich it with taste and healthy substances.
Try our homemade mayonnaise recipe and let us know the result!
If you like our mayo sauce also read the Guacamole recipe, made with lemon olive oil!
- Heat up the oil, over low heat, up to 121°C/250°F (if you don’t have a kitchen thermometer, just wait until it starts bubbling) – by using heated up EVOO, the eggs will pasteurise in the process.
- In the meantime, blend the egg, lemon juice and salt with an immersion blender.
- While blending, add the EVO oil very slowly until the mayonnaise reaches the desired consistency (be careful not to over-blend it, or the mixture will break!). Do not worry if the mayonnaise does not have the thick texture you were expecting – let it cool in the fridge for a couple of hours, it will turn out just perfect!
- Keep the mayonnaise in the refrigerator, tightly closed in its container, for a maximum of 2-3 days.
If you want to further enrich your sauce, grate in it a little lemon zest or a piece of fresh ginger – it will really surprise your guests (and your palate!)
EVO Oil Pairings
To make your homemade mayonnaise we advice: