For the steamed trout
- 2 bags of licorice root herbal tea
- 1 espresso coffee cup of gin
- 2 trout fillets
- A1980 EVO oil
- Salt and pink pepper to taste
For the baked or batter-fried fennels
- 40 g rice flour
- 40 g buckwheat flour
- 10ml A1980 EVO oil
- 100ml cold water
- 250 g fennel
- salt to taste
For the parsley scented water
- 50g parsley
- 10ml A1980 EVO oil
- 20ml water
|Preparation Time||30-40 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
We love to experiment with fish-based recipes, and we especially love to steam cook our fish: the taste of the food remains authentic, and the texture particularly soft.
In this case, we choose to prepare a licorice and gin scented steamed trout; this fish, whose different forms inhabit lakes and rivers alike, has excellent nutritional properties, and it is suitable for light recipes: indeed, it is low in cholesterol, but rich in proteins. To complete the preparation, we added parsley-scented water and chips of crispy fennel.
The final touch was given by A1980 EVO oil, which supports the delicate and aromatic flavour of the dish with its elegance; read more about it in our A1980 extra virgin olive oil full review.
Watch our video recipe.
- Put the tea bags and gin in a pan with abundant water; boil.
- In the meantime, wash and clean the fresh trout under cold water (remove the entrails and scales), then proceed to fillet them. Massage both fillets with 1 tsp of A1980 EVO oil.
- Put the trout fillets in the steamer, and cook them over the licorice-scented water for 8/10 minutes over low heat. Once cooked, add a drizzle of A1980 extra virgin olive oil.
- Now the fennels – cut them into thin slices.
- Make a batter with the rice flour, the buckwheat and the A1980 EVO oil: add water and whisk the mix until you get the desired consistency (soft, yet not liquid).
- Dip the fennel in the batter, then roll them in the breadcrumbs. Finish with a drizzle of EVO oil.
- Now you can either deep-fry or bake your fennels. We decided to bake them – cook your fennel in the over for 15 minutes at 200 °C.
- Prepare the parsley scented water by mixing parsley with EVO oil and ice in a blender. Pass the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove all solid parts.
- Serve the trout with the side of fennels, garnishing the fish with a few grains of pink pepper (to preference), the parsley water, and plenty of A1980 EVO oil.
- Enjoy your meal!