Ingredients for Olive Oil Cake
|Preparation Time||15 mins|
|Cooking Time||30-40 mins|
Olive oil cake is a perfect dessert for your breakfast: tasty and healthy at the same time.
Why do we use extra virgin olive oil instead of other vegetable oils, commonly considered more suitable for desserts because they are “lighter” in taste? Because extra virgin olive oil is one of the best cooking oils to use (it has a very high smoke point) as well as having nutraceutical properties that other vegetable oils do not possess. Last but not least, extra virgin olive oil is not just a “fat” component to add to your recipes: it will add flavor and special character to every bite.
Always choose light or medium fruity extra virgin olive oils, and if you want to give an extra touch, opt for a lemon, orange or mandarin flavored olive oil: they are perfect for this recipe.
Directions for Olive Oil Cake
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff, with a pinch of salt (at least 10 minutes in a planetary mixer).
- Add the sugar to the egg yolks and blend until you get a smooth cream. Then add the yogurt and olive oil (we used a tangerine flavored olive oil)
- Add the flour, starch and baking powder to the eggs, after sifting them.
- Gradually add the whipped egg whites, stirring slowly from bottom to top, so as not to disassemble the mixture
- Bake in a pan of about 22 cm in diameter at 180 ° C for about 30-40 minutes (do the toothpick test to check that cooking is complete).
The olive oil cake is excellent to try for breakfast as it is or to accompany with an apricot jam.
If you want, once cooked, you can fill it with a lemon cream made with EVO oil: here you will find the recipe!
Let us know your preference!