Ingredients for pasta al “cartoccio”
- 4 squids
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
- 10 capers
- 1 tbsp dried pepper
- 120 ml white wine
- ½ glass EVO oil (Trama EVOO)
- 160 g pasta Calamarata di Gragnano PGI
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Salt, pepper, chili and EVOO to taste
|Preparation Time||30-40 mins|
|Cooking Time||20 mins|
Calamarata is a typical Campania preparation; its name comes from the shape of the pasta, reminiscent of that of calamari… and indeed for this reason, it is usually served with a calamari and tomato sauce! When it is cooked al Cartoccio is an over explosion of taste!
The combination of the extra virgin olive oil with the taste of the sauce – and especially with that of the fish – is by no means a simple task: it is necessary to find an EVO oil which has good personality, yet does not cover the sweetness of the fish, and which is also able to go with the richness and spiciness of the sauce, harmonizing their most fragrant and tasty components all together. Giving its vegetable note, Trama EVO oil succeeds in the task perfectly by enriching the flavour of the calamarata, and creating a common thread binding all the flavors together.
Read more about Trama EVO oil in our full review!
Watch our video recipe.
- Clean the squids by removing heads and tentacles from the body (if you bought them fresh, also remove the cartilage and entrails). Wash them under running water, and cut them into slices or strips.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in four.
- In a non-stick pan, heat half a glass of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Once hot enough (this will take ~1 minute), add the garlic and the dried sweet pepper. Let it cook for about 30 seconds, then remove the garlic.
- Add the calamari and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and capers; mix.
- Add the white wine, and let the alcohol evaporate (2-3 minutes); stir the ingredients from time to time.
- Add the tomato sauce and the salt. Cover the pan with a lid and cook the calamari until soft (~10 to 15 minutes, depending on size).
- Bring the water to boiling point; once ready, add the salt and then the pasta. Cook and drain the pasta from the water a few minutes before the recommended cooking time, to finish its cooking in the oven.
- Add the pasta to the calamari sauce.
- Prepare a sheet of aluminium foil in a baking dish, and one of baking paper on top of it. Place two ladles of pasta per serving in the baking dish, and wrap it in foil like candy; this way – called Cartoccio – the pasta will finish cooking together with the sauce in the oven, and the steam coming from it will remain trapped inside, helping to amplify and enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Heat the oven at 200 °C; once hot, bake your pasta for 10 minutes.
- Remove your pasta from the oven, open the aluminium foil and baking paper, add a generous drizzle of Trama EVO oil, and serve; you can serve it directly as it is (giving your preparation a more rustic look), or in a plate, the classic way.
- Add fresh parsley and chilli to taste.
- Enjoy your super tasty Calamarata al Cartoccio!