Ingredients for Pizza Dough
- 300g half stone-ground whole wheat flour (or simply whole wheat)
- 300g double-milled durum wheat flour (semola)
- 120g sourdough (or 8g dry yeast)
- 60ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp of salt
- 3 tsp of sugar
- 450 ml water
|Preparation Time||20 mins|
|Inactive||24 to 48 h|
|Baking Time||3/10 mins|
Pizza, a dish which is actually for everyone – for those who like meat, those who are vegetarian or even vegan, those who prefer light-flavoured ingredients and those who don’t have to think about it twice before choosing buffalo mozzarella! We think it’s impossible not to love pizza …and why not to try to make it at home?!
So how to make pizza dough? Our pizza dough recipe is very simple and you can easily modify the recipe according to your taste and preferences!
If you decide to make pizza with sourdough, start from point 1 and consider an extra 6h for sourdough refresh time.
- Refresh the sourdough: remove the sourdough from the fridge; if there is a hooch on top, pour it away. Put 90g of your starter into a glass jar; add 90g of white flour and 45 ml of water. Stir well, then close the jar and leave it at room temperature until the starter has doubled (this will take 8-10h ca).
If you don’t have sourdough at home, simply dissolve the yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in 50ml of warm water.
- Prepare the dough: mix the flour, sugar and EVO oil altogether. Add either the yeast or the sourdough and mix again. As you keep mixing the ingredients together, slowly add the water until a soft dough is obtained. Keep mixing vigorously for at least 15 mins. Add the salt (which should always be left at last, not to interfere with the yeast). Let the dough rest at room temperature for 1h, then put it in the fridge in a closed jar and let it rest overnight (or 48 h); use a big jar to let the dough double in size – this will ensure the development of a perfect glutinic mesh and a complete leavening, which will make your pizza dough super digestible!
- Once your dough has doubled in size, get it from the fridge and leave it at room temperature for 30 mins. Divide the dough into little “balls” of 200 g each. Let your preparation rest for an additional 4h covered by a clean cloth.
- Gently spread the dough with your fingers in a round shape up to 30 cm in diameter.
- Garnish your pizza with your favourite ingredients (read our pizza – EVOO pairing section for some inspiration!)
- Cook your pizza. We use a special pizza oven for home use which cooks pizza with tomato sauce in 8 minutes, pizza without tomato sauce in 4-6 minutes, and focaccia in 3-5 minutes. If you don’t have one, warm up your oven at 200°C and cook your pizza until crusty.
- Once your pizza is ready, season it with your extra virgin olive oil of choice. Enjoy your best ever pizza dough!